We can easily address carnivore diet side effects and benefits through knowing what foods are included on carnivore diet plans and what may limit you. As we explained previously how Carnivore diet on weight loss is effective, we knew that plan limits you on eating foods of animal origin such as eggs and some dairy products. These foods can be meat and fish. But you will exclude other foods such as vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts, and seeds. Unfortunately, this diet can lower your body’s intake of important nutrients like essential vitamins.
Mechanism of action of the carnivore food system
The carnivore diet is one of the favorite diets to use in our time, because this diet has shown an increase in the efficiency of energy levels effectively. Thus it helps to lose weight, and to reach your optimum weight.
However, on that diet you must avoid carbohydrates just like the keto diet and replace it with proteins and fats.
Doing so makes your body enter a ketosis state, as your body feeds on your fats and makes it an alternative source of energy.
Potential carnivore diet benefits:
Promote weight loss
Despite limited research and studies on the carnivore diet benefits, many studies have found that plans suggesting low carbohydrates intake can be effective in losing weight.
Rich in protein
The carnivore diet is similar to the keto diet for high protein intake, as protein is responsible for tissue repair, muscle building, and body immunity.
Also, diet plans based on eating protein-rich foods help to lose weight and reduce levels of ghrelin, which stimulates feelings of hunger.
Carnivore diet side effects
Why is the carnivore diet so bad for some people that it makes it not recommended for them?
- Despite the lack of research to assess the long-term carnivore diet side effects. It is difficult to determine the effect of meat over consumption on the overall health of the body.
- The carnivore diet eliminates foods that contain vitamins and minerals that help the body build up. So, it increases the chances of undernourishment, low energy levels, and impaired immune function.
- It contains a high intake of red meat and processed meat, as indicated in its meal plan. Unfortunately, this makes it possible to develop colon and rectal cancer. Actually, there is a big difference between the amounts of protein recommended on keto diet and the amount on carnivore diet.
- Eliminates the consumption of vegetables and fruits, which increases the risk of undernourishment. This may cause health problems like constipation due to lack of fibers.
- Since the carnivore diet limits the intake of vegetables and fruits, it is not suitable for children, pregnant and lactating women.
- Not recommended for people with health problems such as diabetes, kidney disease, or certain health problems. Contains a high protein intake as well as a low fiber content, which causes digestive problems and constipation such as the keto diet.
- Causes a lack of concentration due to a lack of important foods that help to concentrate like nuts and legumes.
The carnivore diet is one of the best diets based on the consumption of animal products. In addition to completely limiting the consumption of carbohydrates, added sugars, and fruits, it means that it is the opposite of the vegetarian diet.
Check out egg diet plan for weight loss.
Carnivore diet FAQs:
Can you eat processed meat when following the carnivore diet?
It is best to avoid eating processed meat in the first 30 days of your diet. As doing so, you can add additional carbohydrates without knowing it. Also, it is hard to know what the processed meat recipe ingredients are.
Do you only need to eat grass-fed meat?
No, grass-fed meat has many health and environmental benefits. But it is very expensive, you can eat meat that is not expensive and fits your usual budget. Do not confuse yourself by the search for grass-fed meat only, and start following the diet.
Is the carnivore diet long-term or short-term?
The carnivore diet is effective on weight loss and it can be a short-term health change or general long-term. In fact, there are real experiences of following the carnivore diet as a new way of living healthily. /however, it is best to consult your doctor before starting carnivore diet especially if you have any health conditions.
Does the carnivore diet cause constipation?
Some may have regular bowel movements with fewer feces per day, but the carnivore diet still can’t provide you with recommended daily intake of fibers. Since meat is easily digested and absorbed in the intestine, and therefore has less production of feces.
Should I take nutritional supplements?
No, when following the carnivore diet, you should not take supplements. In fact, meat, poultry, and fish contain many vitamins and minerals that are essential for the body, there is no need to overlap supplements in the diet.
Does eating too much meat cause kidney damage?
No, eating too much meat does not cause kidney or liver damage. According to researches, it does not cause liver or kidney damage. However, it can improve kidney function, and this happens when you remove excess glucose and improve insulin sensitivity in your diet.
Does the carnivore diet work with athletes?
Yes, all athletes know that sugar is a carbohydrate and it is the best way to quickly feed workouts. In the carnivore diet, the body will undergo a process called sugar creation, which converts a protein into glucose sufficient for certain functions of the body.
What is the period of adaptation of carnivore adaptation?
If you eat carbohydrates throughout your life, the body will take some time to adjust to fat and protein intake.
Finally, carnivore diet side effects can limit you from following it. However, it is better to consult your doctor before starting. On the other hand, there are so many benefits to achieve you may not want to miss.