The vegan alkaline diet is a diet system that emphasizes eating alkaline foods in order to maintain optimal health along with weight loss. The diet is based on the belief that certain foods can affect the body’s pH level, and that by eating alkaline foods, the body’s pH level can be balanced.
Proponents of the diet claim that it can improve overall health by reducing inflammation, boosting energy levels, and improving cognitive function. However, there is no scientific evidence to support these claims. While the alkaline diet may not provide the health benefits it claims, it is generally considered safe for most people to follow.
Alkaline vegan diet is a way of eating that excludes animal products, but includes plenty of alkaline-forming foods. Followers of this diet believe that it can help improve health and prevent chronic diseases.
What is an alkaline vegan diet?
An alkaline vegan diet is a plant-based diet that focuses on foods that are alkaline-forming. This means that the diet emphasizes fruits and vegetables, as well as other foods that have a high alkaline content.
The goal of an alkaline vegan diet is to promote a healthy pH balance in the body.
This diet is often promoted by Dr. Sebi, a naturopathic doctor who specializes in African bio-mineral therapy.
Check out related posts about vegetarian diet
- Is The Vegetarian Diet Healthy?
- 9 Vegan protein sources
- Plant-based omega-3 vs fish oil Which Is Better?
- Best vegetarian diet to reduce belly fat
- How to start a plant based diet for weight loss?
- Vegetarian Workout Meals to stay Active
- 6 Best Milk Alternatives for Lactose Intolerance
- Are Vegetarians Healthier Than Meat Eaters?
What is an alkaline food?
An alkaline food is a food that has a high pH level. The pH scale is a measure of how acidic or basic a solution is. It goes from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. Anything above 7 is considered alkaline, and anything below 7 is considered acidic.
The human body is designed to be slightly alkaline, with a pH level of around 7.4.
However, the Standard American Diet (SAD) is very acidic, with a pH level of around 5.5. This is due to the high consumption of processed foods, meat, dairy, and sugar.
List of alkaline foods
- Unsweetened fruit juices
- Vegetables without starch
- Almond milk
- Mineral soft drinks
- Soy products
- Coconut oil
There is no set meal plan or guide, but you can find recipes online or in alkaline diet cookbooks, or you can just use the list of alkaline foods above to make your own dishes.
Acidic Foods to avoid on Alkaline vegan diet list
- Cottage cheese
- Ice cream
- Eggs (the yolk in particular)
- Cashews and peanuts
- Other processed and packaged foods
Foods to limit on alkaline diet:
These foods are neutral, means that their PH is zero, these foods include:
- Natural fats, like olive oil and butter.
- White and brown rice
- Sweet potatoes
- Vegetables containing starch
Pros and cons of the alkaline vegan diet
The alkaline vegan diet is a way of eating that excludes animal products, but includes plenty of alkaline-forming foods. Proponents of this diet believe that it can help improve health and prevent chronic diseases.
Benefits of following alkaline diet
There are many health benefits that makes following this diet appealing to people, these benefits are:
Prevent muscle loss
As we age, we lose muscle mass, which can make us more likely to fall and break something.
A three-year study found that older men and women who ate a lot of potassium-rich foods like fruits and vegetables and less acidic foods kept their muscle mass.
When a condition like chronic renal failure leads to chronic metabolic acidosis, skeletal muscle breaks down more quickly.
When muscle loss is common, such as in diabetic ketosis, trauma, sepsis, chronic obstructive lung disease, and renal failure, correcting acidosis may help keep muscle mass.
Younger patients who took sodium bicarbonate before intense exercise had much less acidosis in their blood than those who didn’t take sodium bicarbonate.
Reduced risk of chronic diseases
A plant-based diet has been shown to reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke, cancer, and diabetes. This is likely due to the fact that plant-based diets are high in fiber and antioxidants, and low in saturated fat.
Also, it reduces inflammation, even that inflammation is the body’s natural way of healing from injuries and fighting off infections.
But, when inflammation persists for a long time, it can lead to serious health problems like heart disease, arthritis, and cancer.
Reduce back pain
There is some evidence that taking alkaline minerals can help people with long-term low back pain.
With supplementation, there was a small but noticeable rise in blood pH and magnesium inside the cells.
Enzyme systems can work well and vitamin D can be turned on when there is enough magnesium inside the cells.
This has been shown to make back pain better.
Increased energy levels
While there is no scientific evidence to support these claims, many people report feeling more energetic and having increased energy levels on the alkaline vegan diet.
Lower levels of inflammation in your body by eating healthy food will definitely increase your energy levels throughout the day.
The alkaline vegan diet has a number of potential health benefits, including weight loss, improved digestion, and increased energy levels.
Limiting high-carb and high-fat foods will definitely make it easier to lose weight, especially if it’s accompanied with the right exercises.
Improve mood and sleep
A plant-based diet is thought to be beneficial for mood and sleep, as it is high in fiber and antioxidants.
Many people report that they have improved mood and better sleep on a plant-based diet.
It is important to note that the alkaline vegan diet does not include any dairy products, which can be beneficial for mood and sleep.
Increased cognitive function
A recent study found that participants who followed an alkaline vegan diet for four weeks showed increased cognitive function compared to those who did not follow the diet.
The study was conducted by Dr. Sebi, a well-known proponent of veganism. The participants were given a list of alkaline vegan foods to eat and were instructed to avoid acidic foods.
The results of the study showed that the participants who followed the diet had improved cognitive function, including increased memory and concentration. The study provides strong evidence that a vegan diet can improve cognitive function.
However, it is important to note that the study was small and more research is needed to confirm the findings.
Cons of the alkaline diet
However, there are also some potential drawbacks to an alkaline vegan diet:
- It can be difficult to stick to.
- It can be expensive.
- It can be time-consuming to make all of your own meals.
- It can be challenging to find quality alkaline-forming foods.
- It can be difficult to find recipes that are suited to an alkaline vegan diet.
Alkaline vegan V.S, vegan diet
Even though all foods allowed on alkaline diet is allowed on a vegan diet, the opposite isn’t right.
Not all foods allowed on vegan diet is allowed on alkaline diet, so, we can call the alkaline diet a vegan diet.
Vegan diet is more like a lifestyle that is followed for many purposes, like religion, sympathy for animals, or others. Also, it makes them change their daily habits to follow the vegan diet.
Alkaline diet: Doesn’t force anyone to change thier daily habits in order to follow the diet. People who follow an alkaline diet don’t change their lifestyle, like how they dress and what they use.
Check out our latest posts
- Old Fashioned Cucumbers in Vinegar Recipe
- Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian Vs Vegetarian; The Difference In What You Eat
- The Flexitarian Diet: Top Foods You Can Eat on the Flexitarian Diet
- Healthy Overnight Oats Recipe For Weight Loss Peanut Butter
- 6 Best Savoury Keto Muffins You Should Try
Tips to follow the alkaline vegan diet
The good news is that there are many ways to make the alkaline vegan diet more manageable and easier to follow. Here are some tips:
- Make a food list and track your daily intake. This will help you stay focused and organized while eating an alkaline vegan diet.
- Choose easy-to-prepare meals that can be enjoyed without fuss. Try making veganized versions of classic dishes or creating your own healthy recipes.
- Use alkaline-forming supplements to help boost the benefits of the diet. Some options include alkaline water, alkaline electrolyte drinks, and alkaline plant-based supplements.
- Try to avoid processed foods and artificial additives. These are common sources of unhealthy toxins in the diet.
- Be patient while adjusting to the new way of eating. It may take some time for your body to adapt, but with patience and perseverance, you can achieve lasting health benefits from following an alkaline vegan diet.