For many of us, the taste of coffee is not complete without adding some milk, and some of us do not enjoy frozen fruit drinks without adding some milk to mix with it. But what if you have a dairy allergy, are a vegetarian, or basically don’t like the taste or smell of milk?
Here are the best milk alternatives for coffee with a distinctive taste and high nutritional value to make the most delicious drinks and foods by adding milk without feeling uncomfortable.
Check out more posts about dairy-free diet:
- Dairy free snacks for babies.
- Dairy-free snacks for toddlers.
- How To Make Coconut Balls Without Condensed Milk
- Lactose intolerance diet list
- 3 Best Plant based milk for toddlers.
6 Milk Alternatives for Lactose Intolerance
One of the best options when looking for healthy alternatives to milk, almond milk is richer in calcium than cow milk and its products such as yogurt and cheese, an important feature that makes it more healthy and more beneficial, especially for bones and teeth.
One cup of almond milk may contain 450 mg of calcium and only 30 calories, making it suitable for those who are dieting and want to lose weight.
But you should know that almonds in its natural form are much more beneficial than milk.
However, it remains an ideal choice for people who want to lose weight and are looking for a healthier alternative to milk, or vegetarians who do not prefer soy and coconut milk, or people who suffer from dairy allergies.
Among the main advantages of almond milk:
- It is more suitable for people who are trying to lose weight than cow’s milk and other types of milk such as coconut as it is lower in fat and carbohydrates.
- An excellent source of Vitamin E with its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- A good source of calcium and vitamin D, which makes it beneficial for healthy bones and teeth.
In fact, cashew milk is distinguished from other milk alternatives in that it is lower in calories than cow’s milk, coconut milk and oats as well, making it more suitable for those looking for a healthy lifestyle and seeking to lose weight.
Cashew milk is rich in:
- Vitamin D and calcium, which makes it useful for healthy bones and teeth.
- Vitamin E and antioxidants give it anti-inflammatory properties.
- Iron and Vitamin A.
One cup of unsweetened cashew milk contains the following nutritional facts:
Only 25 calories, 1 gram of carbohydrates and 2 grams of fat makes it the lowest in fat and carbs and the lowest in calories as well.
It is a cold-pressed flax oil mixed with filtered water and prepared in a certain way that makes it resemble milk. This drink is distinguished from milk alternatives as it is rich in omega 3 and fatty acids compared to other types.
Although a cup contains 70 calories, which seems like a lot to some, it contains 1,200 milligrams of fatty acids and omega-3s with great heart health benefits.
It is also suitable for people who do not like the taste of soy and coconut or are allergic to nuts such as almonds and cashews.
Coconut milk is one of the most famous alternatives to milk. It is delicious in taste and smells good. You can use it with drinks and desserts, and its nutritional value is high.
Coconut milk is extracted from the fruit of the coconut tree, specifically from the white pulp of the fruit.
It has a thick or creamy texture that is rich in nutrients and smells distinct, and here we have to differentiate between coconut milk and coconut water, the clear liquid that is present inside the fruit.
Coconut milk is made differently to give you the texture and color of milk and is used for the same uses.
How is coconut milk made?
There are two types of coconut milk, one of which is thick and creamy, and the other is somewhat thin, and this varies according to the way it is prepared as follows:
Thick Coconut Milk:
Prepared by boiling coconut pieces or grating on the fire in some water, then filtered in a gauze cloth.
Thin Coconut Milk:
Prepared by cooking the leftovers from the thicker milk production to obtain a milk of a less thick consistency.
Nutrition facts about coconut milk
- One cup of coconut milk (240 grams) contains the following:
- 5 grams of protein.
- 5 grams of fiber.
- 57 grams of fat.
We note that it contains a high percentage of fat, which may make it unsuitable for people who follow a diet to lose weight.How to choose the right product of coconut milk
When choosing milk alternatives, you must ensure the quality of the product. You can follow the following tips when choosing coconut milk:
Be sure of the ingredients, preferably choose the product that contains coconut and water only.
Choose light coconut milk because it has fewer calories.
- Oat milk is one of the best alternatives to milk, as it is suitable for:
- People who are lactose intolerant and allergic to nuts at the same time are not suitable for almond milk.
- vegetarian people.
- People with soy allergy.
Benefits of oat milk:
- Rich source of Vitamin B2 and B12.
- It contains a high percentage of beta-glucan with health benefits in reducing harmful cholesterol and maintaining a healthy heart.
- Rich in calcium and vitamin D.
But when choosing oat milk, we advise you to look for unsweetened options that do not contain added substances and unhealthy sugars, or you can make it at home in the simplest way.
Soy milk is made from soaking soybeans in water and prepared in a certain way that makes it similar to cow’s milk in shape, color and texture, which also surprises you that it is equal in nutritional value when calcium is added to it. One cup of soy milk contains 7 grams of protein and 300 milligrams of calcium. and 4 grams of carbohydrates.
There are differents flavors for soy milk
A grain like vanilla instead of a soy flavor that many people don’t like, but it’s not suitable for people who are allergic to soy and its products.
Soy milk is a good option and one of the best milk alternatives for vegans, people who are lactose intolerant, or have a dairy allergy, but it is best when you buy soy milk to make sure that it is fortified with calcium and vitamin D.
Do I have to buy milk substitutes or can I make them myself at home?
Many products of milk alternatives are available in the market such as coconut milk, almond milk and others in different flavors, some of which are sweetened and some that are not.
Also, the method of most of these alternatives is easy and available on the Internet, as you can easily prepare them at home.
The choice is yours, whether to buy or prepare it, but when buying it, we advise you to read the ingredients and nutritional facts first to choose a healthy product that is free of any harmful additives.
Tips for vegetarians
- In the case of a vegetarian diet, you should pay attention to some things so that your health becomes better and you do not suffer from a lack of nutrients:
- Make sure to eat a sufficient amount of vegetable protein and diversify it, and make it an essential component of your meals instead of animal protein such as: mushrooms, chickpeas, lentils, beans, soybeans and nuts.
- Take supplements containing vitamin B12 because the amount we get from food is not enough.
- Make sure that your food is healthy, rich in vegetables and fruits, and do not increase the unhealthy plant food such as pastries, French fries and sugars.
- Get enough calcium from plant foods such as green leafy vegetables such as spinach, arugula, and broccoli, as well as nuts, sesame, almond milk, and cashew milk.
- Make your diet plant foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as flaxseeds and nuts.
- Do not drink too much soda and canned juices, and replace them with vegetable smoothies, drinks containing plant milk, and fresh fruit juice rich in minerals and vitamins.
Your diet is not the only benefit of getting in shape, although this is extremely important, what you eat every day is a major factor in your physical, mental and emotional health.
Many chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes are associated with poor eating behaviors and wrong habits, so make sure to follow a diet that suits you and gives you better health and wellness.
Check out our latest posts: